Open Enrollment

Open Enrollment

Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live. Wisconsin residents in grades kindergarten through twelfth may apply to participate in open enrollment. In addition, a child may transfer to a nonresident school district for early childhood education or four-year-old kindergarten only if the child’s resident school district offers the same type of program and only if the child is eligible for that program in the resident school district. There is no tuition cost to parents for their children’s participation in open enrollment. Parents will, however, be charged the same fees as resident students (for example: consumable fees, books, extra curricular fees). 

PLEASE NOTE: Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school. However, if the student attends a daycare in Elkhorn, and there is a regularly scheduled school bus stop at or near the location, the student will be allowed to ride the bus.

Parents must submit an application form online or to the nonresident school district beginning in February for the following school year. For the 2017/18 school year, the Open Enrollment application window begins on February 6, 2017 and continues through April 28, 2017.

Parents may apply in one of two ways:

● Online (recommended) through the Department of Public Instruction website during the open window period. 
● Although an online application is recommended, paper applications can be obtained from the Department of Public Instruction or the District Office in Elkhorn. All paper applications must be submitted to the Elkhorn Area School District, Attn: Jodi Essman, 3 North Jackson Street, Elkhorn, WI 53121 prior to the deadline. 

Who needs to complete the Open Enrollment process:

● Students currently attending the Elkhorn Area School District via Tuition Waiver for the 2016/17 school year.
● Students who have changed residency to a non-Elkhorn address between September and April.
● Students planning to move to an address that is outside of the Elkhorn Area School District and wish to stay in the Elkhorn Area School District. 

PLEASE NOTE: ​Students that are currently open enrolled to the district do not need to complete a new open enrollment application each year. Their open enrollment status will continue until the student graduates or stops attending school in the district.

If you need assistance, the use of a computer or would prefer a paper copy of the application, please contact Jodi Essman in the District Office at (262) 723-3160 x1405 or

Alternative Open Enrollment
Parents who have missed the regular application deadline may submit an Alternative Open Enrollment Application. For more information, including the circumstances in which a parent can apply and frequently asked questions, click here.

Inter-District Transfers
Inter-district transfers are for current residents of Elkhorn who wish to attend a school other than their regular attendance area school. This is not considered open enrollment and no open enrollment application is necessary. If you wish to attend a school other than your attendance area school, please submit a completed Intra-District Transfer form to the District Office at 3 N. Jackson Street, Elkhorn.